Archdiocesan Synod: Praying with Scripture Series
This virtual five-part series on praying with Scripture offers practical tools for growing in holiness, drawing upon the rich tradition of the Catholic Church. Archbishop Bernard Hebda and Bishop Andrew Cozzens will teach the fundamentals of praying with Scripture and explain how to use a Prayer Companion resource to enrich your prayer experience. Watch at your convenience with family, friends or on your own.
Videos are posted online here and available on the Archdiocesan Synod app beginning September 13. The videos will also be livestreamed Tuesdays at 7 p.m., beginning September 15, on Facebook and YouTube.
Note: This retreat is followed by the Healing and Hope Retreat. Sign up to participate for both series via one of the options below!
Two Ways to Participate
- Download the Archdiocesan Synod App: Access videos, discussion questions, and daily Prayer Companion reflections. Plus, receive alerts when new content Is posted. Download myParish App and within the app, search for Archdiocesan Synod.
- Sign Up for Weekly Emails: Receive an email each week during the Praying with Scripture Series and Healing and Hope Retreat, containing links to that week’s video, plus downloadable discussion questions and Prayer Companions. Sign up here. (Emails are sent weekly on Sundays.)
Talk Titles and Speakers
- Talk 1: “Prayer is a Personal Relationship with God,” by Archbishop Hebda
- Talk 2: “How to Listen to God in Our Hearts,” by Bishop Cozzens
- Talk 3: “Conversation with God – Acknowledge, Relate, Receive, Respond,” by Bishop Cozzens
- Talk 4: “Discernment of Spirits – Consolation and Desolation,” by Bishop Cozzens
- Talk 5: “Overcoming Obstacles,” by Archbishop Hebda
Talk Outlines / Discussion Questions
- Week 1: Letter from Archbishop, Series Overview, Talk 1 Outline & Questions
- Week 2: Talk 2 Outline & Discussion Questions
- Week 3: Talk 3 Outline & Discussion Questions
- Week 4: Talk 4 Outline & Discussion Questions
The Praying with Scripture series provides 25 recommended scriptures for use throughout the 5 week series – one a day for five days each week.
For each scripture, a Prayer Companion is provided with the scripture verse, a guided reflection, and the steps in the Ignatian prayer session. You may use your own journal, or feel free to print the Prayer Companion to journal as you pray.
- Jesus’ Words of Invitation
- Jeremiah’s Word of Hope
- Fear Not
- God At The Origin Of My Being
- Potter and Clay
- Saying “Yes” to God
- A Cry of Utter Sincerity
- Consecrated in Spirit
- The First of the Signs
- The Samaritan Woman
- “Put Out Into the Deep”
- The Courage to Tell Jesus Everything
- Spend Your Life for the Gospel
- Walking on Water
- A Glimpse of Glory
- From Death to New Life
- “He Loved Them to the End”
- The Greatest Gift of All